How to Determine Your Skin Tone to Match it With Your Makeup Shades?
Are you having a hard time matching your skin tone with your makeup? To anyone who has worn makeup, matching skin tone with the right shade of makeup is one of the most important things in applying makeup for any occasion. Your makeup should not just match the color of your skin, but it has to blend well with your skin to make your look as natural as ever.
Would you believe that your skin color could change as the season changes? And with the changes in season, new and more colorful makeup trends are released. These make it all the more important to learn how to match your skin tone with makeup. By the time you learn how to do this, you will be able to choose the best foundation and makeup colors to create a totally new you.
What you need for this tutorial
You need the following to learn how to match your skin tone with makeup
- A handheld mirror: You need a handy mirror to evaluate your skin tone accurately. With a handheld mirror, you can freely move about indoors or outdoors to get the best lighting to make an accurate evaluation.
- A white shirt: A white shirt will help you easily gauge the color of your skin. Wear this as you look into the mirror to evaluate your skin color.
- A room with natural or incandescent lighting: Being in a room with natural light or incandescent light will help you accurately check the color of your skin as fluorescent light or yellow light will simply reflect off your skin and give an incorrect color match.
- Foundation that matches your skin tone: As mentioned, the color of your skin changes with the season. Once you have finally discovered the true color of your skin, you need at least two to three shades of foundation to use all year long.
- Blush to complement your skin tone: There are a great number of blush colors to choose from, make sure you choose a more natural tone and a brand that contains safe and natural ingredients for daily use.
- A variety of eye shadow colors: As you learn how to complement makeup and skin tone, you may collect eye shadow colors in red, blue, brown, purple and gray so you can experiment with different shades to work with your outfit and occasion.
- Lipstick color that complements your skin tone: As with eye shadow, you need a few lipstick hues to use for different occasions. You will learn to be braver and bolder in choosing different lipstick colors after you learn what your true skin color is.
Take note that you are trying to match makeup with your skin tone, so you need at least two to three foundation, blush and lipstick shades to choose from. Eye shadow colors depend on the time of day (generally eye makeup for night time is darker and more intense compared to makeup for daytime), the occasion and the color of your dress among others.
Step By Step Instructions
Determining your true skin tone is the first step in matching skin color with makeup. This is easy to do and is the basis of every makeup tutorial and application.
Wearing a white shirt and your hair up, stay in a room with natural or incandescent light to determine the actual tone of your skin. Find out if your skin has more yellow, red, pink or blue tones; take note the skin located on your forehead, cheeks, and chin.
- More yellow and red tones mean that you have a warm skin tone
- More blue or pink tones mean that you have a cool skin tone
Take note that skin tone is not really the color of your skin. Wiki How said that skin tone is actually the color under the actual skin color. This is enhanced against white which is why you need to wear a white shirt for this activity (http://www.wikihow.com/Choose-Makeup-for-Your-Skin-Tone). There are a variety of skin colors, but there could only be two basic types of skin tone: warm or cool. After you know your skin tone, you may now choose your makeup color for any occasion.
Your skin color
After you have decided which skin tone your skin is, it is now time to determine your skin color. When it comes to skin color, there are four categories for each skin tone: fair, medium, olive or dark skin color. You may have the same skin color with your cousin but not the same skin tone. Therefore you could have warm skin tone with an olive color or a cool skin color with medium color. There is a variety of skin color because of ethnicity and genetics.
Continue to examine yourself using a hand mirror to find out your skin color. Again, examine skin on your cheeks, forehead, and chin. You may also look at skin color examples online. Celebrities with fair color skin include Anne Hathaway, Emma Stone, and Emma Watson. Those with medium skin color are Penelope Cruz, Eva Mendes, and Jessica Alba. Dark skin colored beauties include Beyoncé Knowles, Rihanna and Gabrielle Union.
Step 1: Selecting Foundation
Your foundation is the base for your makeup. It will help even out skin color and will prepare a suitable canvass where eye makeup, lip makeup, and blush would be applied. There are many foundation color hues, and therefore you must find one that will best blend with your skin color.
A better way to do this is to drop by a makeup bar in a local mall or department store and check out the foundation aisle. Most foundation containers or tubes are labeled according to the skin tone that they are designed for. Cosmopolitan says that to get the best shades, pick two tones – a lighter and a darker tone (http://www.cosmopolitan.com/style-beauty/beauty/g5178/best-foundation-for-every-skin-tone/).
Apply the lighter shade over the triangular area of the face. Find out if this shade disappears well into your skin. Next, take the darker shade and blend it with the lighter one and apply it over the side of the cheek towards the neck. If the lighter shade looks chalky, then go with the darker shade.
A video uploaded by Jordan Liberty will help you match your foundation shade with your skin tone https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f92okbAkZVA .
Step 2: Selecting Blush
Blush is used to highlight the cheeks without looking streaky or ever done. The best choice is a subtle shade that will simply look as if you were born with this lovely glow. There are a few things to take note of when choosing blush:
- Fair color and cool skin tone types should stick with rose or pink color of blush.
- The medium color skin should choose apricot, peach or coral color of blush.
- Olive skin color should go with brown or copper –colored blush
- Dark color skin with cool tones should go with plums while warm tones should use burnt orange blush.
Blush is available in a compact form and could have one, two or three shades in one product. Choose one shade darker and one shade lighter to use all year long. Wane Goss gives a video tutorial about picking the right blusher to go with your skin tone https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSZzQP65DNk .
Step 3: Selecting Eye Shadow
You may choose to wear eye shadow or not but doing so will enhance your eye color and will completely improve your overall appearance. Eye shadows come in a myriad of colors and shades. And like choosing foundation or blush, you must match skin tone with your lipstick.
- Warm skin tones should wear eye shadow with a golden shade like browns, greens, and pinks.
- Cool skin tones should wear shades of blue, pink, silver and plum. Cool skin types should choose eye shadow that matches eye color and skin tone.
- People with darker skin color and dark eye color could wear bolder and more colorful shades.
Here is a video uploaded by City that will help you find the right eye shadow for your skin tone https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8i2UVu4apWQ .
Step 4: Selecting Lipstick
The lipstick comes in a rainbow of colors and picking the right one could help enhance your overall look. You must check for the lipstick color that will match your skin tone as well. The trick is to find the lipstick’s dominant color first.
You can do this by taking a lipstick color and test its color on a sheet of white paper.
- Lipstick with warm red color, pale warm hues and browns are ideal for warm skin tones.
- Lipstick with purple rose and pink color is for cool and dark skin types.
- Lipstick with red, pink, beige and warm browns are perfect for olive color skin.
- Lipstick with warm pink color and reds are for fair skin types while purple and cool pink colors are for people with cool skin types.
Sometimes it’s fun to play with lipstick colors and shades, but if you must wear makeup for formal wear or smart casual events, then you must wisely pick the color that would work well with your skin tone and outfit. Makeup Tips has an educational video about how to select lipstick color according to skin tone which may help you out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THHjwSlRaco.
Step 5: Putting It All Together
Now that you have your foundation, blush, eye color and lipstick color are all set, it’s time to put all these together. Take note of these general makeup tips to ensure that you stay dazzling, fresh and ready for the occasion.
- Never use foundation makeup or concealer on your eyelids as a makeup base. This will only make your makeup crease and create a rough look.
- Apply powder on the shiniest part of your face initially. This is usually found along the T-zone of the face. Lightly dust other areas of the face.
- Smile when you apply blush. Start with the apples of the cheeks then move towards the top of the ears and then to the jawline.
- Use an eye brow pencil and powder to highlight the top of the eye brows to create a natural facelift.
- For a perfect lipstick application, start applying along the top of the lip and move to the corners of the mouth. Blot out excess lipstick afterward.
- Use a matte base shadow to correspond to the color of the lightest part of the face. After you have placed all the color, dust the pigments up the brow to create a natural and blended look.
- Use the mascara brush more efficiently by sweeping it to the roots of the lashes. Move up in a zigzag pattern.
- Pick makeup made of safe and natural ingredients. If you have sensitive skin, you must consult a specialist or a dermatologist before buying makeup. Never rely on cheap makeup with no labels, makeup with unclear instructions and branding and expired products. Makeup, like food and medication, also expire so throw away old makeup and never use them.
- Your mall’s makeup bar is more than just a place to shop. Take time checking out the different makeup hues and shades. Do not be afraid to experiment now that you know your skin tone and skin type.
Considering skin tone and skin color is vital in all makeup applications. Not only will you be able to wear makeup that suits your skin type but will also allow you to match outfits, hairstyles, and accessories to your look as well. It’s not easy to find makeup that will look good in all weather and seasons and therefore it’s important to find makeup, especially foundation, blush and eyeshadow colors at least two shades lighter or darker to anticipate these changes.
Even the most professional makeup artists have their makeup tricks and tips. You could also develop your own as you perfect your makeup application. If you like this article, share it with friends and family who needs some cool makeup tips.