How to Get Rid of Gray Hair the Natural Way
Is gray hair making you look old? If you are losing the battle against gray hair, do not despair. There are many ways to get rid of gray hair and it’s not about using harsh chemicals to dye hair. Regular dyes will color hair but will leave hazardous chemicals that can be very harmful to health. Natural dyes will not cause dryness of the scalp and hair and will not emit toxic odors as well.
While some people are able to use chemical dyes to color hair, there are people who are not too lucky. Sensitivity to these dyes is common and people who fall sensitive develop severe itching, redness, rashes and even oozing and bleeding of the scalp. To make matters worse, infection could set in and could lead to severe illnesses that could endanger one’s life. Therefore if you have sensitivities to chemicals and dyes, be very careful. Use only natural gray hair treatments we have here.
What you will need to follow this tutorial
- Henna – henna is used to color hair and is an alternative to synthetic dyes. There are many henna brands and the most common henna products are not just color but are blended with essential oils and cocoa butter to deeply condition hair.
- Coffee – black coffee is another alternative to synthetic dyes but it rarely used. Coffee is rich in antioxidants and has lots of benefits that will not just remove gray hair but will also make hair more luscious and healthy. Choose freshly brewed coffee to get excellent results.
- Tea – like coffee, tea contains amazing amounts of antioxidants and will give hair that healthy shine. Although rarely used as a dye, tea can stain hair to transform gray or white hair into flattering highlights.
- Copper - this is a mineral regarded for its great benefits to health. Taking copper supplements will reverse gray hair and will rejuvenate hair health. These are available in supplement form.
- Vitamin B12 – this B vitamin can help delay the effects of aging in hair especially premature graying. This vitamin is included in your multivitamin pill or you may also use vitamin B in supplement form
Step by step instructions
Taking care of gray hair takes time and effort to find the most suitable technique. Sometimes it takes trial and error to get the best results. Here are the top ways to get rid of gray hair the natural and safe way.
Getting rid of gray hair using henna
Henna comes from a plant which has been used to treat gray hair for ages. It will stain gray hair and replace it with reddish-brown locks. While henna is very popular, it could be messy to do. The first step to applying henna to hair is preparing the dye
- Use 50 grams of henna powder of your choice and ¼ cup of water. Mix these two together until you get a mixture with a consistency of mashed potatoes.
- You may add more water to the mixture if you have not achieved the right consistency. Afterwards, cover the bowl with a transparent plastic and wait for at least 12 hours.
- Before you apply henna, make sure that you have clean and dry hair. Do not use conditioner: hair conditioners have oils that will make it harder for the henna dye to work.
- Place petroleum jelly on the areas that you don’t want to stain. This includes the hairline along the forehead, the area behind your ears and your neck.
- Let your hair down and comb it using a wide-toothed comb. Combing hair will remove knots and tangles and allow the dye to penetrate deeper and more effectively.
- Wear an old shirt or smock to protect your clothes from henna. This dye is effective but it is a bit messy.
- Apply henna on the top most section of the hair. Make sure that you apply evenly and effectively. After application, twist the hair and place it in a bun. Do this in other section of the scalp.
- Continue applying henna and twisting hair. Place plastic wrap around your hair to allow henna to set.
- Remove plastic wrap after two hours. The longer you wait, the more vibrant henna color becomes.
- Remove the wrap and untwist hair. Rinse hair and apply conditioner.
Stop gray hair with coffee
Use freshly –brewed coffee for this exercise. Coffee will not just reduce gray hair but it is also loaded with nutrients plus antioxidants that will make hair healthier and more manageable. Coffee will transform gray to brown hair with a rich reddish color.
- As with using henna, comb hair completely and divide it into sections
- Apply coffee on hair and twist it.
- It takes a while for coffee to penetrate the hair fives so just let hair remain this way
- After two hours, or more, remove coffee in hair.
- Aside from using coffee, you can also use tea to darken white or gray hair.
Taking care of gray hair with the use of herbs, spices and other natural ingredients
Among the most common natural anti-aging hair treatment are using herbs like fenugreek seeds, curry leaves, copper oxide and more. Get to know each treatment well before you apply to hair.
- Make sure that our hair is clean and free from tangles by combing using a large toothed comb
- Divide hair into sections and apply the natural-dye evenly.
- Use a shower cap to cover hair. Let it set for at least 2 hours.
- After the designated time, remove the shower cap and wash and rinse hair completely.
Getting rid of gray hair takes patience; you might go through a trial and error process just to find the most suitable and safest way. Using natural hair care treatments for gray hair is safe for people who have sensitivities and will avoid terrible side effects as well. Do you have your own gray hair remedy? Comment this on the comment section below. Share this article to friends and family to help them with gray hair too.