How to Hydrate Skin?
Do you suffer from dry, flaky skin? Have you ever wondered how to add moisture to skin and to keep dry skin from coming back? Yes, dry skin could be very frustrating. Not only is dry skin flaky and uncomfortable, sometimes it is very itchy too. This is why if you have dry skin, you must do all you can to stop dryness and rehydrate skin fast. It is actually easy with these 20 great skin care hydration hacks.
Why do you have dry skin?
Before checking out our rehydration hacks, it’s best to learn about skin dryness and why you are vulnerable to this condition. There are different skin types: dry, oily, normal skin, combination skin and sensitive skin. You might have dry skin because of the makeup of your skin and if your dad and mom have dry skin, so will you. Genetics definitely plays a huge role as to who you are and what you are.
Second, there are environmental causes of dry skin. Living in an environment where it’s too cold and too hot can also predispose your skin to dryness. Exposure to chemicals and pollutants may also cause dryness and may even cause a number of skin conditions as well. Dryness could also be due to medications and treatments for a medical condition. Still dryness could also be due to poor hygiene and wellness.
But despite the many causes of skin dryness, this is a treatable condition. You can overcome skin dryness, be free from skin dryness symptoms and live a better and healthier life without a worry. Here are top tips for you, to manage dry skin once and for all.
Drink more water
No matter where you turn and were you seek for advice, dry skin should be treated externally, by using skin care treatments as well as rehydrating from the inside. You must drink at least 8 or more glasses of pure water each day and to increase fluid intake if you perform strenuous activities like sports, exercise, housework and more. A lot
Why the hype with water? It is a must to rehydrate because the body is composed of ¾ water. Even the insides of cells and tissues are composed of more water. Water is also used by the body for a number of metabolic functions; therefore without water, you won’t be able to function normally.
How to make sure that you drink at least 8 glasses of water per day?
While some people drink water quite effortlessly, some dislike the “plain” taste of water. But there are ways to take in water and enjoy it.
- Add flavor to water. Instead of just taking water as it is, add a slice of cucumber, lemon or lime. You can also add commercially prepared powdered fruit juice to water so it could be pleasing to taste.
- Drink water cold. It could be really unbearable to drink tap water or plain lukewarm water. Adding ice or chilling it could make water more tolerable.
- Make natural fruit juices using water and real fruit. Fruits like lemons, melons, coconut and citruses can be squeezed or grated to make real fruit juices. Combined with water and a little bit of sugar and other flavors, you will surely be drinking more water than usual.
Use olive oil
Olive oil is jam-packed with nutrients needed to make skin healthier and moisturized. What’s great about olive oil is it is all natural and is easily absorbed by the skin. According to experts the best olive oil is virgin olive oil which can help rejuvenate skin and keep it moisturized and plump. You will find virgin olive oil light and easy on skin and is even recommended for cooking and baking. But on skin care, it is used differently.
- Olive oil massage. Apply olive oil on skin as massage oil by heating a few drops of oil in a water bath for 15 minutes. After heating place oil in the palms of the hands and then applies on the area where there is dryness. Massage the oil lightly using the tips of the fingers in small circular motion. The oil is light and will penetrate skin easily so you won’t have any worries that it’s going to be sticky.
- Olive oil in skin care products. Olive oil is so versatile you can use it together with other products. You will find hand and body lotions enriched with olive oil. You can add this oil to other skin care products; just add three to four drops of oil into your favorite skin cream or lotion.
- Olive oil with other ingredients. Olive oil can be combined with other ingredients like honey and oats to create a face mask or with brown sugar to create a light scrub. Olive oil is indeed versatile which is why it is very common in skin care preparations.
Avoid long, hot baths or showers
Long hot baths and showers will only strip off the natural oils of skin. If you are exceptionally fond of hot baths, saunas and dipping into hot springs then chances are you are having trouble with dry skin.
- Keep baths short and sweet. There is no reason to give up on soaking in a hot tub or taking a nice hot shower but keep it short. 20 minutes could already be tool long if you already have dry skin.
- Add olive oil to your bath water. Add a few drops, 4 to 5 drops, in your bath water. You may also use other oils like coconut oil and lavender oil.
- Use olive oil as a moisturizer after taking a bath or shower. After a long shower or bath, take olive oil or other natural oil and use it as a moisturizer. Place a few drops on the elbows, knees and ankles, areas where dry skin is common. Also pay close attention to the skin at the back of the hands and on the feet where it’s drier than most areas of the body. Apply oil or moisturizer immediately after taking a bath so moisture will be locked by the moisturizer.
Avoid soaps with harsh chemicals, scents and dyes
Soaps with harsh chemicals, dyes and scents can be very drying on skin. Using these products will only make dryness worse. Same goes for using soaps on the face and on the genital area where dryness could disrupt the normal population of good bacteria.
- Use natural cleansers. Instead of using soaps with harsh ingredients, add natural cleansers like lemon to water and use as a cleanser. There are also natural cleansing soaps available in the market which you can use on the delicate areas of the body.
- Use a mild soap for baby’s skin. A sure fire trick is to use mild soap meant for baby’s skin. This kind of soap is especially formulated to clean gently yet effectively and to add just a little bit of moisture on skin.
- Consult a dermatologist. Still in doubt? Talk to a dermatologist about dry skin soaps and what kind of product you should use for delicate or dry skin.
Avocadoes are rich in antioxidants and nutrients that can hydrate and nourish skin. Avocado is one of the superfoods and is highly-regarded as a health food from everywhere. Aside from eating avocado to reap its great benefits you can also use avocado as a natural skin care regimen. Here are some good ways to do it.
- Using avocado face cream. Get a ripe avocado, cut it open and remove the huge seed. Get a spoon and scoop the meat and place it in a food processor or blender. Puree the avocado and add two tablespoons of milk. Blend and then remove from the processor and place in a small bowl. Apply on face using the fingertips in a soft, even, massaging motion. Leave on face overnight. Apply daily at night.
- Using avocado face mask. Use the same pureed avocado and milk but this time add a few tablespoons of oats. Blend using a food processor and let this stay on the face for about 30 minutes. Remove and wash face with mild soap.
- Using avocado lotion. Pure a ripe avocado and add two to three tablespoons of milk. Blend till you get a smooth consistency. Apply on the arms and legs; pay close attention to the dry and tough areas of the body like the elbows, knees and ankles.
- Using avocado paste. Avocados also offer therapeutic and anti-inflammatory effects. Use the pureed avocado and milk as a paste and just dab it onto areas that need extra TLC.
Use a humidifier
Skin can go dry depending on the environment where you frequent. It is therefore important to humidify your home or your bedroom if this is where you usually stay. Adding moisture is needed especially in dry areas or countries and in places where it is exceptionally cold. Adding moisture to air is easy with the following strategies.
- Use a humidifier. If your skin gets dry most of the year then a humidifier is a good investment. A humidifier wlll add moisture and even prevent the development of mold, mildew and other harmful microorganisms. Just plug in the unit and let it do its job. You will find relief from dry skin as well as all allergies or sensitivities when you use this technique.
- Place a pan of water near the furnace or fireplace. A humidifier is effective yet a little costly so instead of purchasing an expensive gadget, you can use this old trick. Place a pan of water near a furnace or fireplace. This pan will release water to air and will make indoor air lighter and much easier to breathe in.
- Open the window to let fresh air in. this is the easiest way to add moisture to any room provided outside air is non-polluted. It’s like taking a deep breath and letting air in and out the body to clean it.
Use organic honey
Honey has great therapeutic properties. It can hydrate skin and has anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties. Honey is also versatile. Aside from being one of the most common ingredients in skin care, it can also be used on its own to relieve skin dryness.
- Use honey as a face mask. Use pure honey; place this in a small bowl and mix with a tablespoon of oats and milk. Mix this well and then with your hands and place a generous amount on your face. Pay close attention to the dry areas of the face like the forehead, the T zone and the tip of the nose.
- Use honey as a facial scrub. Add sugar to honey and use this as a natural scrub. Since this is completely natural, your skin won’t dry out and won’t feel any irritation as well. After scrubbing with honey wash and rinse your face. Use this scrub at least once a day.
- Use honey as a face cream. Honey can be used as it is as a face cream. Just place honey on the face but place close attention to the dry and blemished areas such as the T-zone, tip of the nose and on the cheeks. Do you have acne marks aside from skin dryness? You can count on honey to remove these easily.
- Use honey to treat cuts and bruises. Honey can also be used as an instant first aid cream because of its anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties. If you accidentally cut yourself or suffered a slight burn then place honey over the affected area. Honey can also be used for insect bites bruises and more.
Omega-3 fatty acids
Omega-3 fatty acids will be able to rejuvenate skin and will improve overall skin health. Found in seafood, fish, nuts and vegetables, Omega – 3 fatty acids can hydrate skin and allow important skin products to penetrate.
- Omega -3 fatty acids in food. Possibly the best way to take in omega-3 fatty acids is to eat food rich in omega-3. Indulge in fish, seafood and nuts.
- Omega – 3 fatty acids in supplement form. There are supplements for omega-3. These supplements come in ready to take capsules or caplets and can be ingested at any time, with or without meals. However, if you have a medical condition, consult your doctor about using omega-3 fatty acid supplements before use.
- Omega – 3 fatty acids in skin care products. A number of skin care products have omega -3 fatty acid ingredients. These products guarantee good, healthy skin and even youthful-looking skin. be sure to check and compare products to get the best quality omega-3 fatty acid brand.
Use water- boosting moisturizers
You don’t really need to apply a gunk of chemicals over the skin just to improve dryness. Water-boosting moisturizers should do the trick. These products do more for skin since they don’t just soften skin but also moisturize it deep down. There is also a trick to make moisturizers work instead of putting on all the gunk on your skin,
- Moisturize night and day. Use water-boosting moisturizers twice a day. Once in the morning after you shower and then the second one after you take a shower at night, or before you go to sleep. Moisturizing twice a day will keep skin hydrated and dryness controlled.
- Moisturize preferably after a bath. The best time to moisturize is immediately after you take a bath. Just after you shower and before you dry off with a towel, apply your regular moisturizer or body lotion. Remember to pay close attention to the dry areas including the elbows, knees and ankles. Applying moisturizer for the face must also follow the same routine.
Eat water-rich foods
Water is not just available in juices, sports drinks, soft drinks, soups and fruit shakes but is also present in water-rich foods such as fruits and vegetables. You must include in your diet these fruits and to make an effort to increase your actual water intake as well. Just some of foods that can help increase water intake include fruits, vegetables, soups, jellies, fruit shakes and smoothies, tea, coffee and more. But despite the variety of food that contain water, pure water is still recommended.
Dry brush daily
Dry brushing is a beauty technique used by professionals, actresses and superstars because it actually works. Dry brushing is using a stiff brush with natural bristles and handle. The brush is applied over the skin by using soft yet firm strokes towards the heart. The science behind dry brushing is that the heart pumps toxins and chemicals away from the different parts of the body. dry brushing is done just before taking a bath to remove dead skin cells and dry skin layers.
- Dry brush on the body. Dry brushing on the body includes using a large dry brush with strokes long and firm on the back while the abdomen must use small circular strokes moving the brush further up the head. Do this at least 10 times.
- Dry brush on the arms and legs. The arms and the legs are more vulnerable to dryness and therefore these require extra attention. Brush using long strokes from the hands to the neck, from the foot to the hips. Long firm strokes that move towards the heart. Extra attention to the knees and elbows; these should be brushed firmly and again towards the heart.
- Dry brush the face. A special dry brush is needed for the face. This brush has a small handle and gentle bristles which will apply gentle pressure over the skin of the face. Again, brush firmly and move towards the heart if possible. Do not forget to brush the forehead which is the most vulnerable to dryness.
- Dry brush for the young and old. Dry brushing is not just for the young but also for adults. And aside from the treatment of dryness, dry brushing can also help improve circulation, remove wastes and chemicals in the body and can even help remove cellulite. And there are many dry brushes in the market. Make sure that you review products and check out product comparisons to get the best value out of your money.
Use a facial spray
A facial or face spray will apply a delicate film of moisture over the skin to keep it hydrated. Facial sprays will make you feel light and relaxed as well especially when you use the spray in hot and humid hours of the day.
- Apply before going out. It’s hot out and you perspire easily. Avoid feeling uncomfortable and feeling too hot with a face spray. Some face sprays even have sun protection, perfect for people who are always on the go.
- Apply when engaging in exercise or fitness activities. Naturally, you lose water as you exercise and engage in a variety of activities and aside from drinking water, double your hydration efforts by putting on some face spray. This is handy when you need to hydrate as you jog, ride a bike, do yoga or perform fitness activities.
- Apply during the middle of the day. The middle of the day is when the sun is at its brightest. Going out at this time is risking sunburn and overheating. To prevent these, use a face spray when you go out at the middle of the day.
Eat a healthy and balanced diet
You are what you eat and therefore you must eat healthy every day. You will be able to win over skin dryness when you commit to healthy eating. Eating healthy means making perfect choices when it comes to food. The most important of all is ensuring that there is a balance of proteins, carbohydrates and fats in your daily diet.
- Eat natural foods. Choose all natural meats, fish, poultry, eggs, seafood and produce. Artificially manufactured food does not have the natural vitamins, minerals and other nutrient present in food. Most likely the taste and appeal of the food may have also changed as a result of chemically-altering food.
- Eat foods free from preservatives, chemicals, artificial sweeteners and artificial colors. These chemicals are dangerous to the body and may even cause allergies, sensitivities and even cancers. Choosing natural and healthy food is very important especially in people with reduced immune systems, pregnant women and children,
- Eat a well-balanced meal. You will get glowing, healthy and younger-looking skin when you commit to eating a well-balanced diet. Not only will you be able to relieve dryness but will also curb other skin conditions as well.
Get more sleep
You should get more sleep and rest to keep skin healthy. You may have felt this feeling before: that unusual, clammy feeling if you have not slept continuously the night before. You may have surely felt lightheaded and very very tired. Your skin and hair tend to feel the pressure as well. And as you gradually get less and less sleep; your skin becomes tired and dry as your body systems begin to fail. You can’t concentrate and eventually you suffer a lot from not being able to sleep well for days.
Sleep is necessary to help the body recover and to repair damaged tissues as well. You will be able to curb skin dryness and will be able to have well-moisturized and healthy-looking skin when you get more sleep and rest throughout the day.
Visit your doctor now
If you have dry skin or you have patches of dry skin in any area of the body then visit our doctor today. If you have used dry skin remedies and have tried a number of techniques to relieve dry skin then you must consult a dermatologist to get the best remedy that’s right for you. Your doctor will be able to provide the best treatment and recommend the most suitable skin care products for you to use.
The skin is the largest organ of the body and there is no doubt that eating right, taking exercise and committing to a good lifestyle can help boost its health. If you suffer from skin dryness then there are a number of effective treatments for your condition. There are natural treatments like using olive oil, organic honey and omega -3 fatty acids for dry skin. There are also lifestyle changes that you must do to be able to relieve dry skin such as taking more sleep and eating healthy. Dry skin should be treated since this could develop into far worse skin conditions. And of course, having good, healthy skin is something that everyone wants. If you have been diagnosed with dry skin, don’t worry. Easy, effective and efficient skin care remedies can stop dry skin for good.
Do you have a few dry skin remedies that you would like to share? Tell us through the comment section below. And of course, if you like this article, share it to friends and family who are still looking for dry skin remedies.